9 Nov 2016 - Less than a week left of the Fall Pitch! Please apply for new talents and achievements soon! See here for details!

2 Oct 2016 - Episode 1 for Season 1 is live! See here!

24 Sep 2016 - Season 1 is announced! Coming October 1st! See here!

15 Aug 2016 - New changes to Providence! See here!

Y
ou don't know how you arrived here. What you remember of your past is foggy at best. All you know for certain now, is that you were chosen for a journey you didn't ask for. You arrive in Providence in a ruined keep on a hill. Here, you discover a single token of help: a Ring of Power. It calls to you, and brings out a power and potential you may not have known you ever had. There is an unknown force that threatens to consume this world. You have been tasked by a mysterious entity, only known as the 'Benefactor', to stop this force of destruction. But how you go about that is very much up to you.

Providence RP is a "people-with-powers" roleplay that focuses on exploring a chaotic world and making the unknown known. It is a world of imagination and strength of will, where belief and expectation play a major role in shaping reality itself.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

A Few Hands Too Tall, Evy
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 6 2016, 11:27 AM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina
Characters • Aspiring craftsman

Julius didn't really consider himself an animal person. Which was not to say he hated them, mind. He supposed he must have never had a pet growing up because he didn't feel an affinity toward any animal in particular, domestic or otherwise. He supposed now was as good a time as any to get accustomed to them, though. It wasn't like domestic animals were like monsters, right? They seemed like a safe starting point.

As he peered into the stables, and watched the horses, he started to realise that the line between animal and monster was finer than he initially thought.

Just... look at them. They were enormous, and he was tiny. One of the bigger horses could probably trample him and not even notice. And the teeth... jeez. Julius wasn't prepared to feel so intimidated by a creature that wasn't even trying to attack him.

And yet, he couldn't bring himself to move. He just stood there, and continued to watch these weird animals. Maybe the shock would wear off soon? He sure hoped so, because these things drew carriages all through Providence and he probably couldn't get away with avoiding them for the rest of his life.
PM
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 6 2016, 04:45 PM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson
Characters • Evygizer bunny

Evy wasn't napping.

She wasn't!

It was just - just - it was just that it was warm in the stables today, and the pile of hay in the hayloft was pretty soft, really, and once she stopped squirming it didn't even really feel like the hay was pricking her and her eyes had drifted shut, just a little, as she'd curled up -

A faint whinny from below woke her quite promptly, and Evy rubbed her eyes, bits of straw sticking from her hair and shirt. She yawned, hopping forward, and dropped quite without hesitation from the edge of the hayloft, landing neatly in a crouch at the bottom.

The horse in the stall closest to Julius (who Evy didn't see) was shifting nervously, whinnying and stamping.

"Flare, what's wrong?" Evy's tone was even and soothing, and she didn't hesitate to slip into the stall, approaching the horse with her palms out. "I know you're not really upset, are you? Huh? Something just frightened you a bit, but you'll be fine, won't you?"

Flare huffed.

Evy giggled. "Yeah, it's no problem, is it?" She stood right in front of the horse, heedless of the gentle shifting of his hooves, and stroked his nose, smiling, calm and cheerful. "There, that's better! You're fine now, aren't you?"
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 09:02 AM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

"Oh—"

Julius was equally startled, having heard someone drop without warning down from the hayloft. H... how long had she been up there? Had she been watching him as he observed the horses? Either way, she paid him no mind, seeming far more concerned with the horse closest to him.

He peered inside and continued to watch as she talked to it. The girl was roughly his size but clearly did not share his apprehension regarding horses, approaching it freely and patting it on the nose, calling it by name... it sorta made Julius feel more self-conscious, somehow.

"Sorry, I— I didn't mean to startle your horse." Had he startled it? He didn't feel like he'd done anything to elicit much of a reaction from it, but then again he had been the only one down here. "I was just watching— should I leave? I-I'll just leave, sorry."

He started to back away, still unsure if she was paying any attention to him whatsoever.
PM
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 03:11 PM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

It wasn't just the horse who was surprised. Evy shrieked when Julius spoke, leaping back. Rather than slamming into the stall door, though, her body burst into a flicker of movement and she passed straight through it, skidding to a stop on the ground outside.

Flare was twitching again, prancing and shifting and looking even more nervous than before.

"Oh no, don't leave!" Evy spun to look at Julius, wide-eyed. "Please! If you just meet her she'll calm down, I dunno why she's being so silly. Please? She's nice, I promise!"
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 8 2016, 11:47 AM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

Augh, maybe he shouldn't have said anything— he'd just gone and scared the living daylights out of this other person, too. Seeing the horse's nervous jittering, Julius was about to back off for real when the girl spoke again, and urged him not to.

Mmmm. He wasn't sure if he wanted to go near it when it was all restless like that, but uh... if she was managing just fine then maybe it wasn't such a big deal? It wasn't like she was being trampled or anything. Maybe she was right, maybe the horse would calm down... and hopefully he would, too.

"S-sorry," he muttered, as he cautiously approached them again, watching the horse carefully the entire time. "I-I'm not really used to horses. Is it— is she yours?"
PM
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 8 2016, 02:47 PM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

Evy beamed, taking Julius's slight movement towards the stall as agreement.

"Flare?" Evy giggled. "Oh, I wish! She's a sweet horse. But - she isn't mine! I just work here! It's really nice because I get to help with all the horses and everything and it's so fun. Okay! Stay there!"

Evy ducked cheerfully back into the stall. Flare made an abrupt movement, and Evy visibly slowed, smiling at the horse, approaching carefully and stroking her nose once more. "There we go..." She ducked to Flare's left side, taking a halter off the wall of the stall and fastening it to the horse's face, humming softly.

Within a few moments, Evy had a lead rope well in hand, and was gently backing Flare out of the stall. "Okay!" She called back over her shoulder to Julius. "Stay there, please? I'll bring her over. If you wanna put your hands out, maybe? She likes to smell people when she first meets them!"
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 10 2016, 11:14 AM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

"Oh, okay..."

Julius stood a little stiffer than necessary as he watched the girl interact with Flare. The horse seemed like she had calmed down considerably now, as she let the girl pat her face before fastening something over it. His own nerves started to ease as the horse's did, at least for a moment, until the horse was led out of the stall.

Oh... okay. This is fine.

He nodded in response to the girl's instructions, and held out his hands - again, a little more than he rightfully needed to, with his arms stretched almost as far as they could physically reach. Look... horses were big. He was helping it out by making his hands more, uh, accessible. That was how he was going to rationalise it, anyway.
PM
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 10 2016, 03:41 PM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

Flare eyed Julius's hands somewhat suspiciously, one massive ear flattening back against her head.

Evy giggled. "It's okay!" She beamed. "You don't need to be scared." It would be hard to tell whether she was looking at Flare or Julius, although probably the message applied equally to both.

"Come on," Evy edged forward a little, and Flare, somewhat reluctantly, followed after. Her head lowered closer to Julius's hands, and her nostrils flared. She huffed, a big gush of warm, slightly moist air gusting over Julius's hand.

Evy giggled. "There, that's better," she beamed. "Oh, here!" She wriggled about and, triumphantly, produced a cube of hay from one pocket, handing it to Julius. "She likes hay cubes! Not as much as apples but I don't have any apple slices with me," Evy giggled. "Here, hold your hand flat like this," she demonstrated, palm up, "and Flare can take it from you! Just, um, be careful to keep it flat, with the cube in your palm! Okay?"
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 14 2016, 10:00 AM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

Julius was still and silent as the horse scrutinised him. Flare seemed to be as cautious of him as he was of her, and he wasn't really sure if the warm breath of air on his hands was a sign of good faith, but he supposed she wasn't running away from him or trying to hurt him and that was about as much as he could have hoped for. He breathed a sigh of relief.

"Hay cubes..." Were those a thing? Julius looked unsurely at the small, compact block of hay in his hand, but uh... it was roughly cube-shaped, and did seem to be made of hay. Alright then. He did as he was instructed, and held the hay cube out in his open hand.

Flare sniffed at it for a moment before quickly gobbling it up, leaving Julius' hand kinda wet and slimy (but unharmed) in the process. He chuckled a bit out of nerves, and maybe a bit out of amusement, too.

"I-I guess that wasn't so bad..." He looked at his hand, a few small flecks of hay stuck to it along with the horse saliva. Eurgh. He wished he could wipe it clean. "You can't just feed them those cubes, right? They look like they'd eat a lot."
PM
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 14 2016, 05:32 PM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

Evy giggled. "No, they get lots of other food too," she was stroking Flare's neck, cheerfully. "Mostly they eat grass and hay! But sometimes they get oats too," she grinned at Julius. "And then for treats they get apples or carrots! Or hay cubes. And they like lots of other snacks too! Roasted peanuts and melons and grapes and bananas... all kinds of vegetables! Usually just apples or carrots though." She held out another hay cube for Flare, who lipped it off her palm happily enough.

"Horses have to eat a ton!" Evy nodded. "Missy told me that a horse like Flare needs... maybe... fifteen pounds of hay per day," Evy nodded again. "I would get really tired of chewing so much," She grinned at Julius, "but I guess Flare likes it!"

"Oh!" Evy brightened. "I'm Evy," she kept her grip on Flare's lead, but stuck her other hand out for Julius to shake, beaming. "What's your name?"
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 16 2016, 10:46 AM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

"Oh, that's... huh. Lot of different stuff, huh." Well, that made sense, Julius supposed... even a horse would probably get bored of eating the same old stuff over and over. He wasn't really expecting roasted peanuts, though.

He watched as Flare eagerly snatched another hay cube out of the girl's hand, and chuckled a little. The horse looked sorta funny when she did that, honestly, with the way she opened her mouth to grab at the tiny cube of hay. He hadn't really noticed it when she was eating from his own hand. Horses were so weird.

"Ah—" Right, he hadn't introduced himself, had he? They'd been a little distracted by, well, the horse. He wiped his hand clean on his jacket (he'd probably regret that later) to shake Evy's hand. "I'm Julius. Nice to meet you... and, uh, Flare as well."

He wondered if he should try patting her face the way Evy was doing, but uh, hmm. Baby steps.

"So, uh, how'd you end up working here?"
PM
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 16 2016, 06:43 PM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

Evy beamed. Julius's careful wiping of his hand was not noticed; hers was equally sticky and scratchy, hopefully thanks only to a little horse spit and bits of hay.

"Oh!" Evy beamed at the question. She stroked Flare's neck, gently. The horse seemed quite calm now, nuzzling Evy, and she giggled as Flare huffed, a breath of warm air stirring her hair faintly.

"Well," Evy blinked. How had she started working at the stables? "I guess - I just liked to spend time here! Missy, she runs the stables, and anyway she said - she told me how I could help, you know? So I started doing stuff just like cleaning the stalls and shoveling hay and all and - um - I just wanted to be useful I guess. And then I spent more time here and eventually she let me look after the horses more! She taught me all kinds of stuff, how to feed them and exercise them and even how to teach people how to ride!" Evy beamed. "So now I come here most days. It's so nice."

"Where do you work?" She smiled brightly at Julius.
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 22 2016, 10:58 AM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

Julius thought briefly that maybe he shouldn't have bothered wiping his hand clean. Or maybe it was just as well? Otherwise it might have just ended up getting even more gross.

He listened as Evy went into her explanation, nodding from time to time. Seemed like the stable job just kinda happened, huh. If only he'd had that kind of luck.

"Well, uh..." Julius looked sort of embarrassed as he began to answer her question, his clean hand scratching at the back of his neck. "I don't really have a formal job to speak of. I've kinda just been getting along doing errands and such for people, y'know? I'm not really sure that I have any marketable skills, so..."

Feeling even more self-conscious now, he cleared his throat. "But uh— I guess I'll find something sooner or later, right?"
PM
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 22 2016, 04:06 PM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

"Definitely!" Evy said, enthusiastically. "I didn't know how to do any of this stuff when I first came and now I can do all sorts of stuff! Well I could ride horses before, I know I had, but I don't think I did it very much, you know? But I liked them already," she was stroking Flare's nose again. She beamed. "So it was really just luck - well - it was mostly Missy actually but I was lucky she liked me and that she - that she took a chance teaching me, you know?" Evy looked self-conscious. "Actually I was really lucky because the first time they left me in the stables alone I lost a horse! Snow! Well - it turns out she wasn't really a horse, she was a unicorn, and then Amelia and I went to find her and we ended up helping her find her horn so then she couldn't come back because - she's magic! But, um..." Evy paused. "Well... I guess..." she shrugged, her train of thought long gone.

"Do you want to learn how to ride a horse?" Evy beamed at Julius, as if the non-sequitur made perfect sense.
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 25 2016, 12:41 PM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

Julius continued to nod through Evy's story... until about halfway through, when he sort of lost where Evy's stream of consciousness was heading. Did she say a unicorn? Well— he supposed that wasn't too out of the ordinary, in a place like Providence. Do unicorns usually end up losing their horns...? He couldn't remember hearing that part before, but he supposed he didn't remember all that much about anything, really... wait, what did she just say?

"Ride a horse?" He'd heard that right, right? The thought of riding a horse had not even crossed Julius' mind when he came to the stables that day, so the offer took him by surprise. "A— are you sure? I've never ridden any sort of— how do you even get up on one of those? They're so..." Big? He was starting to remember that yes, horses were very big. "I-is this really a good idea?"
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
skin by bonbon for providence only. Edits by Spook & Tamafry