9 Nov 2016 - Less than a week left of the Fall Pitch! Please apply for new talents and achievements soon! See here for details!

2 Oct 2016 - Episode 1 for Season 1 is live! See here!

24 Sep 2016 - Season 1 is announced! Coming October 1st! See here!

15 Aug 2016 - New changes to Providence! See here!

Y
ou don't know how you arrived here. What you remember of your past is foggy at best. All you know for certain now, is that you were chosen for a journey you didn't ask for. You arrive in Providence in a ruined keep on a hill. Here, you discover a single token of help: a Ring of Power. It calls to you, and brings out a power and potential you may not have known you ever had. There is an unknown force that threatens to consume this world. You have been tasked by a mysterious entity, only known as the 'Benefactor', to stop this force of destruction. But how you go about that is very much up to you.

Providence RP is a "people-with-powers" roleplay that focuses on exploring a chaotic world and making the unknown known. It is a world of imagination and strength of will, where belief and expectation play a major role in shaping reality itself.

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Beneath the Horizon
Valma
OPEN Posted: Nov 6 2016, 01:23 AM

played by LegendofKal
63 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Valma
Members • Paradoxical Prodigy

It was a particularly sunny day, more so than usual, today, with people milling about across the docks. Ships came and went, people disembarking while others simply restocked for another journey across the vast lake. The bustle was everywhere, both on the docks and off, several people jumping in to see what sort of treasures they could find close to shore.

Valma strode across the docks, a few people glancing her way, giving looks as if they've never seen someone like her before, others ignoring her completely. She held up the map she found in the town library thanks to Ela, though she never really explained why she needed it beyond navigation. After a small nod, she put it away. This was definitely the place.

She came to a small booth, the proprietor hawking his wares to anyone passing by. From what Valma saw, he had anything from odd rocks to moldy pottery. Very shiny pottery, she noticed. It looked like he was selling his finds from the lake, judging by the state they were in.

"Is this all from the lake?" It was a redundant question, but it was enough to get his attention. along with some info.

"Why sure, miss! This is just a small collection of my numerous excursions. Come, come, take a look!"

"Actually, I was wondering about doing it myself."

"Ah! Well, you can board the various ships as part of the crew, or you can find my brother. He should be further down the docks. I'm sure he'll loan you some equipment if you go ask."

"Alright, well, thank you!" she said, giving the man a wave before setting off further along the docks.

This post has been edited by Valma: Nov 6 2016, 04:15 AM
PMEmail
^
Ryven Windseeker
 Posted: Nov 6 2016, 04:46 AM

played by tim3hopp3r
216 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Ryven Windseeker
Characters • Hunter & Poet

The lagoon was lively today.

Ryven had never seen so many people here. Normally, when he visited the lagoon, it was bereft of others. It was calm, quiet, and peaceful. Not so today, but there was a certain energy here that Ryven loved. He smiled to himself as he took a seat along one of the docks, boots off and feet dangling in the water. He had unslung the bow from his shoulders and now had his lyre in hand, plucking at its strings without paying attention as he tried to turn that energy inward, and then relay it out again as music.

He breathed in deeply. Yes, this was quite nice.
PM
^
Valma
 Posted: Nov 6 2016, 05:21 AM

played by LegendofKal
63 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Valma

Valma eventually broke through the crowd, or at least came to a thinner sect before finally breaking out of it. She never felt so claustrophobic before. Were the docks always this busy?

Never mind that, she was on a mission to find that proprietor's brother, who apparently loaned some diving equipment. The docks themselves seemed staggered, following the rocky shoreline. They swerved left and right, up and down, forming a rather natural walkway against the slope of stone.

Passing over a short rise, the dock fell again, just barely above the water. She almost felt tempted to stick her feet in. "Eh, why not?" she said to herself, shrugging. Taking a seat, she plucked her boots off, rolled up her pant legs, and dipped her feet in. The water was a little cold, but she didn't mind.

She closed her eyes and let her mind relax. That diving equipment wasn't going anywhere, anyway. She listened to the sounds, to the birds, the slight breeze on the water, the music playing a short ways away, the rustle of grass-

Wait-music?

Curious, Valma stood up, looking in the direction it was drifting to find a boy-a rather pretty boy-playing some kind of instrument. She walked over, the beautiful sound drawing her into a sort of hypnotic trance, until she found herself standing right next to the boy.

She plopped herself down, letting her feet dip in the water. "What a beautiful song." she said.

This post has been edited by LegendofKal: Nov 6 2016, 05:21 AM
PMEmail
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 6 2016, 05:07 PM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson
Characters • Evygizer bunny

"Ryven!" There was a blur of motion, then a loud thump as Evy collided with Ryven from the side, all but knocking him over, and stopping the lovely music that had drawn her to him. Thankfully, she'd hit his side rather than his back, decreasing the chances she'd pop him off the pier into the water.

Evy, on the other hand, wasn't quite so lucky. She pitched forward, past Ryven's shoulder, shrieked, flailed, and tumbled straight off the pier into the lake with a loud splash, disappearing under the water.

There was a long moment of silence, then she burst up above the surface, gasping for breath and treading water, looking up at Ryven and Valma with wide eyes. "... Hello!" Evy said, cheerfully, swimming easily over to one of the pillars of the pier, and shimmying up handholds in its side, her blouse and skirt sopping wet. She wriggled the skirt off, revealing bloomers long enough to serve as shorts, and giggled. "Oops." She beamed at Valma. "Hi, I'm Evy!"

This post has been edited by Evy Thompson: Nov 6 2016, 05:07 PM
PM
^
Ryven Windseeker
 Posted: Nov 6 2016, 08:14 PM

played by tim3hopp3r
216 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Ryven Windseeker

Ryven's eyes were closed as he allowed the melody he played to consume him. he heard footsteps, slow, approaching, but paid them no mind. He did not answer the voice and it's compliment until the last ones were fading away. When he had finished, Ryven turned to smile at the girl. He took I her appearance, making special note of her pointed ears. Was she a drow? He had never heard of a drow with skin that shifted colours. But it did not matter. Ryven oopened his mouth to greet her.

"Oof."

He was suddenly pushed back, an intense force colliding with his shoulder. Ryven was knocked back, just enough to drop his lyre, but not far enough to fall into the lagoon. His lyre, however, skidded dangerously close to the edge, and was only stopped when Ryven dove to save it from a watery fate. When Evy looked up from the water, she would see Ryven looking more worried and scared than he ever had before.

But his lure was safe, so he breathed a sigh of relief and clutched it to his bare chest. "Hello, Evy," he said, smile returning to his face. Despite that scare, he was glad to see her again. He turned to the drow girl next. "And hello, new friend."
PM
^
Valma
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 12:11 AM

played by LegendofKal
63 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Valma

It was out of the blue, this young girl slamming into the boy's side, knocking the instrument out of his hands. Valma was too shocked to do something, her skin shifting to look jagged and static. After a moment, when the girl popped her head out to greet the boy, Valma's shock started to disappear, her skin slowly returning to normal as she herself moved back into a sitting position from a leaning one she didn't even realize she'd been in.

Valma didn't know who to greet first, flipping her head between the girl and boy, and figured a group introduction was better. "Uh, hi." she said, giving a slight wave. "Valma. Nice to meet you both."
PMEmail
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 12:45 AM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

Despite her cheerful greeting, Evy's gaze went back to Ryven's face. She hadn't missed the look of fear on his face, and, with the way he was clutching his lute, she was pretty sure she knew why. Evy shifted, scuffing one bare wet little foot against the wood of the dock, looking down, shame flickering across her face.

"... It's very nice to meet you, Valma!" Evy said first, smiling at the woman. Her skin was so pretty! Evy liked it.

Then, she turned to Ryven, and took a big, deep breath to draw up her courage. "I'm sorry I ran into you!" Evy said, shoulders sinking. "I didn't mean to - I - I thought I'd be able to stop. I'm sorry." Her lower lip quivered just a little, in anticipation of Ryven's potential anger.
PM
^
Ryven Windseeker
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 01:16 AM

played by tim3hopp3r
216 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Ryven Windseeker

"It is nice to meet you too, Valma. I am Ryven." Though with Evy's loud introduction, she might have already figured that out. Ryven then turned to smile at Evy, all worry gone from his expression. He relaxed his grip on the lyre and put it down on to his lap.

"It is okay!"
He assured her. "No harm has come to me or my lyre. I hope you are okay as well." He had only been surprised by the suddenness of the greeting, and when he found out it was Evy Ryven wasn't surprised at all. This was normal for her, after all.

There was a moment of silence between the three, but it was comfortable rather than awkward. Perhaps not for long, though, as soon Ryven had opened his mouth and was pointing a finger curiously at Valma. "I like your skin," he said. "Are you drow? I have never met a drow with skin that changes colours before."

Tact was not something one learned easily when they grew up in the mountains.
PM
^
Valma
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 01:52 AM

played by LegendofKal
63 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Valma

"Oh, that, uh..." Valma suddenly got nervous, her skin rippling, as she pretended to scratch the back of her head. She was never comfortable when asked about her skin or heritage, as she didn't like talking about it. As if it was something that brought about curses, even if people such as Ryven were genuinely curious, although a bit abrupt on his part. She couldn't exactly say she wasn't normal; she's seen her fair share of townsfolk who fit the description of "not normal".

"Well, I'm not drow, or whatever, if that answers anything." Frankly, she didn't even know what "drow" meant. Her best guess was some sort of race or tribe.

But maybe there was still a way she could convey what she was. "I guess you could say I'm a, Halfling." the term felt odd to say, almost dirty, like it was a slur or derogative statement. But it was the best way she could describe herself and leave it at that.

This post has been edited by LegendofKal: Nov 7 2016, 01:52 AM
PMEmail
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 01:56 AM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

Evy's face relaxed back to its usual cheerfulness with confirmation that Ryven wasn't mad at her, and she wriggled about, excitedly.

"Oh, yes! It's very pretty!" Evy agreed with Ryven, smiling at Valma, quite mistakenly assuming that if Ryven had talked about it that it was okay to talk about.

Ryven asked if Valma was a drow, and Valma said, no, she was a halfing. Evy shifted from foot to foot, tilting her head to the side. She knew Ryven was an elf! Or um. Something. Maybe a fairy. Evy had never quite decided but she was pretty sure elf was right. And she knew what elves and faries were! But she'd never heard of drows or halflings.

"What's a drow?" Evy asked Ryven, brightly. She turned to Valma, and smiled at her. "And, um, what's a halfling?"
PM
^
Ryven Windseeker
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 07:31 AM

played by tim3hopp3r
216 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Ryven Windseeker

A halfling? No, that wasn't possible! ...Was it? Ryven shook his head. "You can not really be a halfling, can you? Halflings are very small," he said. "Smaller even than Evy. And they do not usually have Drow skin tones." He frowned and kicked his feet in the water, making small ripples where he moved. "Unless you are from a world where that means something different... how very strange."

He ran a finger down the curve of his lyre, then picked at one of the strings. Because it was on his lap, the sound it made was dulled. "A drow is another kind of elf," Ryven explained. "They are also called dark elves. I think many live in dark places, or underground. I... do not remember if I knew any, where I was from. But I did meet halflings. They are very friendly and kind people, and like to laugh. They are very small. And very resourceful, but not as resourceful as elves." Ryven puffed out his chest a little bit in a subconscious display of pride. He may normally have been quite humble, but Ryven was always happy to point out the things his kind were praised for.
PM
^
Valma
 Posted: Nov 8 2016, 12:09 AM

played by LegendofKal
63 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Valma

It always interested Valma hearing about where other people come from, and what sort of world they live in, along with the other types of inhabitants. It also startled Valma a little when she heard Evy say she hadn't heard of halflings, at least her variation on the term. "Well, a Halfling from where I come is the offspring of two races." she paused, brushing a hand through her hair. "While my world hasn't seen many, the general idea is that the offspring takes physical cues from both parents." She didn't want to reveal she was the only Halfling of her world, as she just met these people, and her origins were something she didn't want to talk about.

She lightly splashed her feet in the water, enjoying the feeling. She couldn't remember if her world had many lakes. Or even had large bodies of water at all. Her gaze shifted to the surface, or rather, what lay below, trying to find anything other than sand and rock.

Except for the small glint she spotted every so often beneath the light ripples created by her feet.

"Anyone else see that?" She pointed in the direction she saw the glinting object. She figured it was good enough to distract the two from probing further into her heritage.
PMEmail
^
Evy Thompson
 Posted: Nov 8 2016, 12:57 AM

played by MoralHazard
485 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Evy Thompson

"Underground... elves?" Evy's eyes were wide in awe, and she listened eagerly to both Ryven and Valma, perching on the edge of the dock and dangling her feet in the water, cheerfully kicking back and forth. "I don't think we had anything like that where I came from!" Evy grinned at them both.

"Where?" Evy hopped to her feet at Valma's pronouncement, slipping slightly in the wet wood but managing to keep her balance, albeit barely. She peered out over the water, intent on the spot Valma was indicating or at least something vaguely nearby.

"What did you see?" Evy asked, enthusiastically. "Oh! Was it a turtle? There are turtles that live in the water! Ryven and I made friends with one!"
PM
^
Ryven Windseeker
 Posted: Nov 9 2016, 12:38 AM

played by tim3hopp3r
216 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Ryven Windseeker

Offspring of two races. That made sense. So Valma was half of one race and half of another. Ryven nodded in understanding. "We have something almost the same. Half-elves and half-orcs exist, but I do not know about any other of your kid of halflings. Our halflings are all halfling."

Ryven peered over the edge of the dock, careful to make sure he didn't drop his lyre in. He couldn't see anything under the surface but his own feet. "No, I did not see. What was it?" he asked. He laughed at the memory of the turtle he and Evy had met, especially with how it had caused so much trouble... with Rowan in particular. That had been a good day.
PM
^
Valma
 Posted: Nov 9 2016, 02:03 AM

played by LegendofKal
63 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Valma

Friends with a turtle? That was something Valma had never heard before. But this wasn't that, and she shook her head. "No, this looks shiny, like it could be a shard of something valuable." Valma stood up, unzipping her vest before tossing the red garb over her boots. "I'm jumping in."

She took a step back before using it to propel herself forward, leaping off the dock and making a big splash in the clear-blue water. She opened her eyes to see where the shiny thing was, though the water stung a little. She located it, but this time it seemed further from where she initially spotted it. Was it her mind or this world playing tricks on her?

Taking a few strokes, she approached the object, and saw that it was covered with wet sand and stray bits of kelp. She brushed her hand to try and clear some of it, but found the object to be larger than she initially thought. Grasping the exposed section, she tugged at it. The object barely moved, and her lungs started burning.

She broke the surface, taking a deep breath before looking at the others. "Anyone want to get wet and help out? This thing looks large!" Even if it was a shard, it was a hefty one, that was certain.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
skin by bonbon for providence only. Edits by Spook & Tamafry