9 Nov 2016 - Less than a week left of the Fall Pitch! Please apply for new talents and achievements soon! See here for details!

2 Oct 2016 - Episode 1 for Season 1 is live! See here!

24 Sep 2016 - Season 1 is announced! Coming October 1st! See here!

15 Aug 2016 - New changes to Providence! See here!

Y
ou don't know how you arrived here. What you remember of your past is foggy at best. All you know for certain now, is that you were chosen for a journey you didn't ask for. You arrive in Providence in a ruined keep on a hill. Here, you discover a single token of help: a Ring of Power. It calls to you, and brings out a power and potential you may not have known you ever had. There is an unknown force that threatens to consume this world. You have been tasked by a mysterious entity, only known as the 'Benefactor', to stop this force of destruction. But how you go about that is very much up to you.

Providence RP is a "people-with-powers" roleplay that focuses on exploring a chaotic world and making the unknown known. It is a world of imagination and strength of will, where belief and expectation play a major role in shaping reality itself.

Add Reply
New Poll

Resolution, Season 0, Episode 4.2
NPC
 Posted: Jul 30 2016, 07:32 PM

played by
47 posts
years old
OOC account
NPC
NPC •

K
unlong heeded Misaki’s words after a long thought. He did not intend to distrust her, but after so long hiding in the dark it was strange to think the light of the world was unbarred.

“I…yes, I do have one. Here,” he found an empty vial, one of very few in his pouches, to contain the ring. Kunlong to did not think it would last for very long, in the state it was in. But perhaps it would prove useful, somehow.

“Let’s go, then. While some of us can still stand?” Kunlong shrugged, the thought of leaving relieving a heavy weight from his shoulders. Though after so much adrenaline and power used, relaxing left Kunlong dizzy and tired.

“You weirdo. You say that, then you decide you want a nap?” the beaten fairy forced his hand against Kunlong just as the wizard nearly fell off his feet. Without another word, he helped the wizard stand and walk towards the tunnel. The only exit people could feasibly go through, all things considered.

“Go help the other man. I’ll be fine,” Kunlong protested quietly.

After a short pause, Frederick groaned, “Your loss,” and let go of Kunlong. The wizard crumpled to the ground. But at least Konrad would have someone help him. Frederick did not feel guilty.

As the Bogeyman’s slayers walked through the tunnel, they would find no visions as before. Whatever power or magic was there had vanished. Was it the Bogeyman’s after all, so close to his own lair? The thought might pass over Misaki (or less likely, Chaz) for a moment, until coming into view was silken man met not long ago. Behind him, a group of lost ringbearers. They all had their rings, now.

“Who’s that?” Frederick muttered half to himself. Another weird looking man in bathrobes. Was this the fashion style underneath the Keep?

In any case, it was there in the middle of a tunnel that everyone finally came together. Most everyone. There was at least one casualty. And a fair few whose fates were not out in the clear just yet.

The stranger, who felt too familiar to truly be one, spoke up, “You call me the Benefactor. Or Providence. I don’t have a name for myself, not anymore.”

“Benefactor? As in…?”

“As in, I provided the rings you wear.”

“Then you brought us here.”

“Yes. With your ring, your soul is anchored here. With your ring, your flesh is remade. I suppose that is why some call me the Benefactor.”
NEXT UPDATE: August 3rd, and the season is done! Feel free to ask questions to Ben. The more you ask, the more of a resolution you will have. :P
PMEmail
^
Ryan Teksa
 Posted: Jul 31 2016, 07:21 AM

played by Taurus
344 posts
21 years old
C-Rank Leader
Ryan Teksa
Characters • Knight of Flame

The Benefactor...

Without a second thought or concern, Ryan stepped forward, Eden still borne in his arms. He didn't know anything about this figure, besides them being the orchestrator of this environment. There was a lot of debate that could be had, a lot of questions, but... only two mattered right now.

"Are those the Bogeyman killed actually gone?" Light's head had been thrown before Ryan and he had walked past it without care, presumed it was the Bogeyman's illusions and given it no further thought. Now though, if Light truly had died under Ryan's watch... that was something it would take a long time to forgive.

Ryan shifted his arms just a bit, lifted Eden just a little. She was out, and that arm was not coming back in any easy way. But just maybe, just maybe... "And how good is your healing magic?" Could someone who did all that this figure had restore others to fullness? If not, could they at least help? He hoped so.
PM
^
Nagisa Nott
 Posted: Jul 31 2016, 02:51 PM

played by Choco
193 posts
years old
C-Rank Leader
Nagisa Nott
Characters • Soft Smile

As the group had followed the robed man, Nagisa's mind had been completely empty. Now that the adrenaline and fear had left him, he felt exceptionally drained. The person who had come to accompany them felt unnaturally trustworthy, and the logical part of Nagisa's brain ticked off a small trickle of suspicion, but there was simply no energy left in him.

At some point, they finally met up with the other group, the ones who had remained to fight, Nagisa felt a strange sense of relief. Though he wasn't particularly attached to anyone, it was gratifying to know that...most...of them had made it.

Ryan addressed a question, after which Nagisa recognized him. "Hey there, Ryan. Glad to see you again." Although they had met when this expedition just began, it felt like it had been months. Listening to Ryan's questions and looking over the assembled group, it appeared as though the mission had been successful, but at a cost. So much for recon; escaping the place they had been was probably synonymous with killing its lair-keeper.

To the Benefactor, Nagisa addressed a question, ignorant of the discoveries that the others had made. "I don't suppose there's any way to leave here? Go back to where we were? It's a bit...well..." He couldn't think of the right words, for some reason. Too dazed, perhaps.
PM
^
Ela
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 07:37 AM

played by tim3hopp3r
672 posts
17 years old
C-Rank Leader
Ela
Characters • Too Much Red

The monster was gone. Defeated. They were safe. Ela shuffled over to Tsukasa, in part to see if his friend was okay, and in part to seek out the comfort of a friendly face (or as friendly as Tsukasa could get, anyway). He laughed weakly. "We did it," he said. His face was bloody and dirty and streaked with tears, but he had his ring back, and he was alive. They all were.

But they were not alone. Ela looked up at the figure that had appeared before him and the people he had been trapped with. "Oh, it's..." He waved his hand in front of him, as if rolling his wrist would make the name come to mind more easily. "...you," he finished lamely. The man's light filled him with a sense of familiarity. Of belonging. Like everything was right with the world. It was like when he had gotten his ring back, but tenfold. He smiled softly and relaxed where he sat.

"Right. The Benefactor. Big Ben... Like the clock, but a dude, and, like... warmer and brighter and stuff..." He very nearly giggled at himself. Ela was obviously very exhausted from their ordeal. "So you know everything, huh...? Then can you tell us what that thing was? What we fought and the stuff we saw... It was all fake, right? Fake, fake, fake..."

He yawned and leaned his head on Tsukasa's shoulder as he awaited the Benefactor's response, not caring if his friend would find it uncomfortable. He would wait until all the questions were answered, fighting against his exhaustion in the name of knowledge. "Hey, Tsukasa, I'm gonna go to sleep, okay? Wake me up when I'm twenty..."
PM
^
Ryven Windseeker
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 07:43 AM

played by tim3hopp3r
216 posts
21 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Ryven Windseeker
Characters • Hunter & Poet

Ryven had not been ready to stand up and move yet, but he dragged himself along with the others through the cave and to a new chamber, already filled with familiar faces. Ryven's own face lit up as he beheld one face in particular. "Saerun!" He called, moving over to her. He smiled widely in spite of his injuries and his very roughed up appearance, and opened his arms to her. She was looking a little worse for wear, too.

He looked around at the others. More people he recognized. He smiled at Nagisa, too. "I am glad to see you are okay," he said, although it wasn't to anyone in particular. Then he turned his attention to the bright man in robes. Ryven recognized him, but could not quite place where he had seen the man before.

"Oh." His eyebrows raised when the man named himself. Although Ryven had a pretty good idea of their situation (or so he thought), he still couldn't help but blurt out his question, right on the tail of Nagisa's train of thought: "Yes! Will we be able to return home? Will I be able to see my beloved once more?"
PM
^
Misaki Konishi
 Posted: Aug 2 2016, 03:28 PM

played by Tamafry
75 posts
17 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Misaki Konishi
Characters • blue flowers

"If I could answer some of these questions,"

Misaki piped up, the bogeyman's charred head still in hand. She addressed the Benefactor with a degree of familiarity, having witnessed him once already. The phial containing the crumbling ring was tucked away in her shirt pocket. Like everyone, she looked weary, but sick to her core. She had helped Kunlong up after someone else shrugged him away.

"There is no way for us to return back home." she began, calmly. She couldn't think of another way to phrase this without revealing the truth outright. She echoed the Benefactor's words. "We're bound to this world in soul and flesh."

Misaki then turned to Ryan. "I don't know what you witnessed, but very simply, those that are killed are dead." She frowned. "We all went on this mission knowing that we'd be risking our lives. We'd have to search for the bodies of not just our comrades, but those that we've never met if we want to confirm anything."

"I want to ask a question. I don't mind if it's answered openly or privately." she gazed onwards at the Benefactor. "I saw visions of my past before finding you. I... I did some unspeakable things." Her voice wavered.

"If you could look into our souls and know our histories, then why... Why do you select people like... Why did you choose to grant a new life to that creature we just killed?"

They were difficult and bitter words to spit out. In reality she was asking for herself more than their enemy.
PMEmail
^
Theod Udara
 Posted: Aug 3 2016, 10:12 AM

played by Zoozle
148 posts
23 years old
C-Rank Leader
Theod Udara
Characters • Buddy

Theod was happy to be alive. His entire body hurt immensely, but it beat being burned alive, eaten, or stabbed (or anything else that had either almost happened to him, happened to someone else, or already happened to him). Theod limped his way through the crowd of survivors (noting grimly that many of their number seemed to have disappeared), but many friendly (or, at least, familiar) faces appeared! Eden! Misaki! Chaz!

He spotted Saerun and ran over to her as quickly as he could! He was so happy she was safe he wanted to hug the poor thing! But then a shirtless man with long ears and dark hair embraced her first. Theod thought it would be awkward to interrupt them. Instead, Theod decided to run over to the embrace Ela was giving to Tsukasa and improved upon it. With his own embrace. Of the two of them. Theod was not typically one of hugging but the adrenaline still pumped through his system and illogical actions were still possible. He gripped Tsukasa's shoulder, the one across from Ela's embrace, and held tight. "I AM SO HAPPY YOU TWO ARE SAFE. YOU MEAN SO MUCH TO ME. ELA WHEN THE BOGEYMAN ATTACKED YOU I WAS SO SCARED BUT THEN HE STABBED ME AND AND AND-"

Theod whimpered. Then he cried. His tears stained Tsukasa's tattered, dirty clothing. The weight of his experiences came crashing down upon him. The Bogeyman. The pit of bodies. His injuries. The young boy. The hollowed dragging him down. The fire. The arachnid creature. So many repressed memories and emotions flooded him. He was just so happy he and his friends were safe.

Theod almost immediately snapped out of his sorry state once he remembered was amounted to God was talking to them. As others pelted the being with questions, Theod needed to voice one of his own:

"Umm, hello! So... my ring was taken from me and used against us... my ring conjured a monster!" Theod nervously picked at his ring, a double-ouroboros of a coyote and a snake consuming each other. "How is that possible?

This post has been edited by Theod Udara: Aug 3 2016, 10:12 AM
PM
^
Saerun Fuu Shinru
 Posted: Aug 3 2016, 03:13 PM

played by Pwny
79 posts
17 years old
C-Rank Leader
Saerun Fuu Shinru
Characters • Traveling Summoner

'A little' was something of an understatement. Between her own powers and those of several others, Saerun had managed to heal enough to move, but burn scars from the acid she had been bathed in were all over her body, and her skin was still sensitive to the touch - just walking was agony itself, but she remained stoical. In her white-knuckled grip was her sword, hers and hers alone, the lavender-colored jade ring glowing slightly in the newfound light. Her clothes were, sadly, once more in tatters; she had borrowed someone's coat or cloak to cover herself - in her state, she didn't care which they were. And her left hand, the one she now knew that had held Theod's ring, still had a tremor in it, a tic that refused to go away.

Other than that, though, she was rather well-off, considering she had nearly become some monster's last supper not long before.

Her head tilted slightly at the familiar voice, but the best she could give was a slow nod. Sae just didn't feel like saying anything. Even as she dwelt upon her horrifying experience, she looked around at the others, and all of their injuries and scars; several appeared to have lost limbs, even, which made her wince in pity. The whole lot of them seemed to have taken one hellish beating.

Others began blabbering questions, with a rather studious (and stuck-up, if Saerun could voice her thoughts at the moment) ring-bearer answering a few of them. Some wanted to know why they had been brought here, others wanted to know what it was they had fought; still more wished to know how to leave, though that seemed to be shot down quickly. All good questions, to be frank. It hurt to talk, however - some of the acid or the air she'd been subjected to must have burned her throat - so she waited until a quiet moment presented itself, mustering her strength.

"When we were brought here... all of us started here, in this place, this castle. So... why has the keep been left unguarded all this time? So much trouble"

Getting her mind out before the others gave the young lady a bit of strength to work with, but she needed a moment before she noted her other concern. "And now that that's been dealt with... What do we do next?" Saerun wasn't exactly itching for another fight. But considering how handily they had been beaten the first time - and the survivors nearly annihilated at that - she couldn't imagine what facing such a thing a second time would be like. Not without being a lot stronger, for certain, but also without more coordination and cooperation.

Maybe she was answering her own question there...
PMGTalk
^
NPC
 Posted: Aug 3 2016, 06:20 PM

played by
47 posts
years old
OOC account
NPC
NPC •

T
he Benefactor was quiet, at first. His face, what could be made of it, remained expressionless with the exception of a wrinkle of thought. He listened intently, the smallest sign that perhaps he wasn’t so omniscient to know all the answers.

He nodded quietly to Misaki’s explanation. The victims of the ‘Bogeyman’ were indeed dead. Unquestionably. Just in the same way, there was no way to return to the world of old.

“I cannot send your souls back to where you came. Neither can I restore a soul, such as the ones lost today. In fact, beyond the world you see here, I have no power at all.”

That was that. He could not heal, revive, vanquish a Bogeyman, or anything else to truly interfere. He could walk, talk, and offer council, but it was the most he could push himself in this circumstance.

“The monster you faced is a rarity… but not unique in the least. That creature is the consequence of devouring souls. Killing and stealing rings for oneself. The more you grow to the taste of such a crime, the more you become a monstrous husk of yourself.”

“In truth, I do not know so much about you as you may believe. I can merely reflect your personhood, and bring it to bear in this world of mine. Why I chose you… it is because, of all things, you had potential cut short. Those young souls with more to prove, I guided here and offered them another chance to grow. And, in the end, I cannot afford to be selective.”

“The Keep was meant to be the seat of your power. The fortress against Chaos. Chaos… that is all I remember. You must fight Chaos. How you do it… I’m not sure. Perhaps if I knew, this would be over so much sooner. Perhaps the Stewardess knows. Why she built her village rather than rebuild the Keep.”

There were still more to answer. Stranger questions, in a sense, ones that the Benefactor could not answer. Nagisa, he slowly realized, meant to leave the bottom of the Keep and not the whole of the world. The Benefactor turned around, back towards where the ‘well’ once brought them. “I am sure there is a secret passage somewhere. Why not, after all?”

Somehow, there indeed was. Could they really have missed it, especially those who hid here for so long? As the Benefactor moved a stone aside, revealing a small key, and brushed a parchment of fake wall from a portion of the well, Kunlong spoke up, “That wasn’t there before. I’ve… I know I have been here.”

“It’s a strange world,” the Benefactor smiled slightly.

As they walked up the underkeep, the Benefactor returned his attention to one last question. It was the most difficult question and, at the darkest of truths, one he could not answer. Amidst their climb, the Benefactor addressed Theod, “May I see your ring?” The Benefactor outstretched his hand.

He inspected it, silently, for several minutes. More than once, the Benefactor opened his mouth only to shut it a second later. Finally, he gave his answer. In between his fingers, he crushed Theod’s ring to a fine dust. Its remains scattered as shining dust across the floor of the tunnel.

“You are lucky, ” the Benefactor finally spoke, “There are dark forces in Chaos’s hands. When things do not make sense, when things defy your expectations, it is in those times you should be wary.”

In the Benefactor’s other hand, a ring appeared. There was no hint to how it got there. It was, however, completely identical to Theod’s old ring. The Benefactor returned it to Theod.

“I believe we are close to the exit, now. Can you see the setting daylight?” The Benefactor looked back to the front, where the faintest glow of red reached into the tunnel. Once again, the once hidden came to light.
NEXT UPDATE:The thread is officially done, but if you still want to talk to the Benefactor then I will post again!
PMEmail
^
Ela
 Posted: Aug 3 2016, 08:41 PM

played by tim3hopp3r
672 posts
17 years old
C-Rank Leader
Ela
Characters • Too Much Red

Ela had just started to drift off when it was time to move again. He groaned and lifted himself from Tsukasa, following with sluggish steps as the others moved through the passageway and back to the world above. He yawned loudly as he walked, and was only brought back to some modicum of alertness when the Benefactor crushed Theod's ring in his hand.

"Whoa!" Ela made to move up, to see what had happened, but the spike of fear subsided as soon as the Benefactor gave Theod a new ring, just the same as the one he'd had before. He breathed a small sigh of relief. Why he was relieved for someone else when he was so tired, he did not know.

As the sun's last light started filtering into the mouth of the cave, Ela realized he probably wouldn't have much chance to talk to the Benefactor again after this. So he piped up, asking one last question, one that he himself had been insecure about since coming here: "So... Is it you that chooses our rings and out powers, or... Or does it just kind of decide for us? Is it... are our powers based on anything? Or is it random?"
PM
^
Konrad Kirchner
 Posted: Aug 5 2016, 02:18 AM

played by Bloodright
80 posts
16 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Konrad Kirchner
Characters • Soldier

Konrad found himself carried into the here and now. He felt lost, but not alone, at the least. Before him was some otherworldly figure. An angel, perhaps? Some sort of harbinger? He did not know. The Benefactor did not seem to know, either. This world was so complicated. But then, so was the one he was from.

He had one question. One that had been burning in his mind ever since he first locked blades with the bogeyman. Ever since he first started encountering the demons and monsters of this world.

"Are ve making zese monsters? Do demons exist here because I know of zem? Because I expect them?" he asked in a confronting, self-conflicted tone. He didn't want the answer to be what he feared, but he was scared of not knowing all the more. He had some difficult choices to make going forward.

And the answer to this would decide many of them.
PMEmail
^
Chaz LeTigre
 Posted: Aug 5 2016, 02:21 AM

played by Bloodright
19 posts
19 years old
C-Rank Leader
Chaz LeTigre
Characters • Full Time Chaz LeTigre

Chaz LeTigre listened intently to his friends' words. The Benefactor spoke as if the world was resting on his shoulders, and he took that to heart. Then again, even the Benefactor did not have all the answers, and that worried Chaz somewhat. Wasn't he the creator? Wasn't he in charge? If he didn't do anything, how would anything get done?

Chaz worried that no one was willing to take charge. That everything would be left up to him, then. Well, if that was how it had to be, then that's how it would be. Chaz would fight. And he would win! He would lead them all!
PMEmail
^
Theod Udara
 Posted: Aug 5 2016, 08:15 AM

played by Zoozle
148 posts
23 years old
C-Rank Leader
Theod Udara
Characters • Buddy

Theod looked in horror as the being crushed his ring, his SOUL, and handed him a new ring. He slipped it on. It felt identical to his old ring, but this one felt... off. Perhaps it was just a trick of the mind, but he didn't find the same comfort in fiddling with it anymore.

"Did... did you just kill me or is that just semantics? And I'm sorry, chaos?! What's out there?"
PM
^
NPC
 Posted: Aug 5 2016, 06:36 PM

played by
47 posts
years old
OOC account
NPC
NPC •

H
e did not stop as they asked questions. The light of the sinking twilight reddened, but brightened all the same. They were almost out, so the Benefactor said.

“The only choice I have in this world is the world itself. I made the rules, so to speak. That goes for your rings, for its creations… everything is by your own design. Yours, and all that takes residence inside.”

It was an answer both to Ela and Konrad, for they both had, ultimately, the same question. Just what did the Benefactor control, and what did they control? “Every thought, every belief, every bit of imagination you have shapes this world. Some may not appear, of course. Some of it is lost amongst the noise. But the most vivid, the most powerful, the most lucid of thoughts and beliefs illuminate like a blue sky.”

The Benefactor had no control of what went inside his own world. He merely maintained it, and merely chose who may enter it. That included the youngsters before him, but also his opponent. His opponent being, as The Benefactor believed, the most threatening thing to all existence.

“I chose you for your age and maturity. A budding potential, but also your mind. Not yet matured and stoic in its perception, open to possibilities and with abundant imagination. But not too young that reason and consistency are lost – for it’s those tools our enemy uses against us.”

“Chaos. Entropy Incarnate. Such is the name the creature uses for itself, but it is an accurate one. A being insatiable, a monster thirsting to consume and dispose of all existence. The very concept of life, of an order and rationality, is offensive to it. In its final moments of attack, when it moved to corrupt all existence across all time, space, and those in parallel… I made this.”

The Benefactor waved its hand. Providence, so some called it. A prison for Chaos, and a colosseum between it and those ringbearers The Benefactor chose. Heroes, saviours… or simply those whose circumstances were beyond their control.

“I cannot completely destroy a ring, much as I cannot destroy your soul,” the Benefactor assured Theod, “But there are those intent on corrupting your ring, and hence the gate to your soul. I merely…replaced the damaged gate.”
NEXT UPDATE:The thread is officially done, but if you still want to talk to the Benefactor then I will post again!
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
skin by bonbon for providence only. Edits by Spook & Tamafry