9 Nov 2016 - Less than a week left of the Fall Pitch! Please apply for new talents and achievements soon! See here for details!

2 Oct 2016 - Episode 1 for Season 1 is live! See here!

24 Sep 2016 - Season 1 is announced! Coming October 1st! See here!

15 Aug 2016 - New changes to Providence! See here!

Y
ou don't know how you arrived here. What you remember of your past is foggy at best. All you know for certain now, is that you were chosen for a journey you didn't ask for. You arrive in Providence in a ruined keep on a hill. Here, you discover a single token of help: a Ring of Power. It calls to you, and brings out a power and potential you may not have known you ever had. There is an unknown force that threatens to consume this world. You have been tasked by a mysterious entity, only known as the 'Benefactor', to stop this force of destruction. But how you go about that is very much up to you.

Providence RP is a "people-with-powers" roleplay that focuses on exploring a chaotic world and making the unknown known. It is a world of imagination and strength of will, where belief and expectation play a major role in shaping reality itself.

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

What's Mine is Yours, Mercy, Ryan, Julius, Veryn...
Matias Ferre
 Posted: Nov 3 2016, 04:49 PM

played by Amemarteau
251 posts
22 years old
C-Rank Leader
Matias Ferre
Characters • Blacksmith

Everything was ready, finally. He had a cart, he had the tools, and Matias just needed the people to delve into the old mines with him. And he had names for the job, already: Veryn, Julius, Ryan…

The only problem was, recently, he broke his own hand by accident. He could still supervise, Matias supposed, but in the thick of danger he wouldn’t be nearly as effective as a fully able body. He needed an extra person to help him. Someone to help supervise. Someone he could trust. Someone close to him and his work.

But in the end, he asked Mercy.

It was late morning, enough time for him and the others to get ready and still enjoy plenty sleep. Though for Matias, work oft got in the way of rest. Even when he needed it most, for his injury. He was first at the wagon, just outside of town, his left hand in its sling but his right still frantically micromanaging the pickaxes, lanterns, and canteens of oil in the front of the cart.

PMEmail
^
Mercy
 Posted: Nov 3 2016, 08:50 PM

played by tim3hopp3r
146 posts
18 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Mercy
Characters • 2GOTH4U

When Mercy had signed up for this whole circle business or whatever it was Matias had actually had in mind she had only sort of been expecting to be put to work, and she mostly thought he meant like making screws and other little metal things. But no he wanted people to go on adventures and shit. Like in nature and stuff. Gross. Mercy hated nature. But she hated being bored more so here she was.

"Sup." She was the first person at the wagons, except for Matias who obviously got here before her. Mercy crossed her arms in front of her chest, which was surprisingly covered up a bit today in a top that wasn't too low-cut, since she knew she was gonna be going on into nature and she didn't want to ruin her best clothes. Actually she loooked almost appropriate for adventuring today in a goth way. She had a black t-shirt and jacket on and pants. The pants had holes torn in them because that was cool and Mercy had been experimenting with her powers. And of course she had her platform combat boots on, but this was a different and more scruffy pair that she could afford to get dirty even though that would make her SOOOOOOO MAD.

"So, like, who's all coming to this thing?"
she asked, but wasn't really interested. She was just making conversation because she could.
PM
^
Ryan Teksa
 Posted: Nov 3 2016, 10:44 PM

played by Taurus
344 posts
21 years old
C-Rank Leader
Ryan Teksa
Characters • Knight of Flame

It had been a while since Ryan, Julius, and Matias had made plans to head out into the Irongate Mountains, to gather metal which would result in payment for Julius's weaponry. Indeed, with all the events of recent times, Ryan had mostly forgotten about it, focusing on other duties - including expanding the Hunters of the Dark.

So it had caught him off guard when, while working metal in Matias's smithy, his employer slash tutor had come and reminded him of the job to be done. Right, that. Okay cool, metal hunting! Ryan had spent little time in the Irongate Mountains, so he was happy enough to be heading out. He nodded, memorised the meeting time Matias gave him, and resolved to be there the next day.

So there he was, approaching the cart at the edge of town, ready to depart for realms unknown. Matias was there, along with someone else Ryan didn't recognise. Generally when seeing a lady standing next to Matias you had to do a quick evaluation on how much you want to consider their interactions, but Ryan did his best to avoid that. Not his business, not one bit.

"Hey," he waved his hand in greeting to the pair, coming to a stop as he joined them, "How're we doing today?" The girl looked a little younger than he was, but definitely dressed for the occasion. He held out a hand, the greeting he always gave without fail. "I'm Ryan. Nice jacket." The coat he'd had made was cool, but he sometimes missed his old jacket. One too many monster run-ins with it though.

This post has been edited by Ryan Teksa: Nov 3 2016, 10:50 PM
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 4 2016, 02:34 AM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina
Characters • Aspiring craftsman

Ah jeez, he wasn't late, was he?

Julius scurried over to join the others around the cart, armed with the shield and sword that he was here to repay his debt for. Despite the time that he'd spent practicing with them, he was still anxious. Stabbing at straw dummies in the training hall wasn't enough to prepare one for defending against actual monsters, but what else was he supposed to do? It wasn't like he was going to go out and fight some dangerous beasts unless it was absolutely necessary. Y'know, like today.

Oh lord. He took a deep breath to calm himself a little bit as he stood next to Ryan, smiling nervously up at him before turning towards the woman. Was this the other person Matias mentioned wanting to bring along? He smiled nervously at her, too. "H-hi! Sorry, I shoulda been here earlier— I'm Julius."

He looked around a bit, counting up the party. Was this it? He didn't remember if anyone else would be showing up... he glanced over at Matias. "Are you gonna be okay coming along with your, uh...?" He gestured a bit with his elbow.
PM
^
Veryn Balsamine
 Posted: Nov 4 2016, 02:51 AM

played by lucien
160 posts
24 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Veryn Balsamine
Characters • Witzelsucht

Oooooh nooooo!

Somehow she had almost forgot.

Veryn went careening through the streets around buildings and took flying leaps over whatever she could to make her way to the meeting point as quickly as possible. Up ahead she could already see the others assembled. She hated being the last one in...

But her excitement to be going out to the mines again wasn't going to be dampened by a late start to the morning. She owed Matias for the swords but honestly she would have probably gone even without a debt to pay off. Sticking around in the town too much was getting her restless.

Instead of slowing down as she approached, Veryn took a few long, floaty bounds and then skidded to a stop next to the wagon.

"Here! 'M here!"
PM
^
Matias Ferre
 Posted: Nov 5 2016, 08:25 PM

played by Amemarteau
251 posts
22 years old
C-Rank Leader
Matias Ferre
Characters • Blacksmith

“Hey,” Matias answered back as simply to Mercy. If he had to be honest, he was surprised to see her show up at all. But he did make it a later hour than he’d normally, just to give Mercy time to get ready and, well, think about how bored she’d be without a bit of walking around.

“Well, we have a pair of guys named Ryan and Julius,” he said. He didn’t know if Mercy had met them before, though it wasn’t hard to find out Ryan worked with Matias in the smithy. Just as he mentioned them, Matias could see both hurrying to the wagon.

Julius was the first to point out Matias’s injury. Matias cocked his head and dismissed Julius’s worry, “It’s my off-hand. Besides… I don’t really expect us to do much heavy lifting given…”

He was cut off with one last arrival. Matias smiled wide, “Everyone, this is Veryn. Veryn, this is Ryan… Julius… and last but not least, Mercy. Mercy also has some talent with manipulating metal, so with the two of you I think we can get away with a big haul!”

Without further ado, Matias started off. They had a pair of draft horses to pull the wagon up part of the way into the mountains, and they all would fit to ride if they so chose. There would be plenty of walking and crawling around in the mine itself, after all.

About an hour later, Matias stopped the wagon a few dozen paces from the mouth of a cave. He tied the horses to a lone tree, moving the cart to just in front of the mouth. He gathered up just a small fraction of the supplies, just enough to explore, not to work, and led them into the cave.

Immediately, under torchlight or light of their own design, they would see the remnants of a mine. An abandoned, rusted cart was turned over and partially buried under fallen rock. There was a shaft, however, and a set of pulleys with new rope fed through them. There was even a platform to stand on, made of polished wood and metal easily younger than the old cart off to the side, or even the pulleys hanging over it. It seemed Matias had built it himself not long ago.

“I haven’t actually used the shaft just yet. This is far as I’ve gone,” Matias explained. He motioned to the pulleys, and then the rope end tied to a stake in the ground. He said, “I think they should hold…” with at least some hint of confidence.

Matias unfurled the map from his pocket, lending it to others to see. There wasn’t much to it, but apparently the first level of the shaft was about forty feet down. “Are we ready to go down?” he asked the others, grabbing hold of the staked rope with his one good hand.

”…If one of you could untie the rope, that’d be nice,” Matias sighed. He couldn’t do it with one hand.
PMEmail
^
Mercy
 Posted: Nov 6 2016, 05:03 AM

played by tim3hopp3r
146 posts
18 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Mercy
Characters • 2GOTH4U

Last but not least? More like last but most. Because Mercy was the most good person here, probably. She didn't even know who any of these other hacks were except Matias but she guessed Veryn looked pretty cool with her weird fashion and stuff. It wasn't quite gothic but it was still ok. And it was good to have another girl here, not that she had a problem with boys, it was just that she didn't want to be left out, god, stop bugging her about it.

Anyway she said hi to all of them and got in the wagon. When they got there she got off the wagon. Then she went into the cave with the others.

Mercy didn't have any light to use herself but that was okay because she was gothic and goths love the dark, right? So she totally didn't need the torches that other people were carrying and she just stuck close the them because she figured it was the right thing to do, not because she couldn't see or anything. But that wasn't important anyway. She looked at the map.

"I'll untie the rope," she said, and stood by it for when the others were ready to go down. God they were all so slow. Or maybe Mercy was just impatient. Yeah that was probably it.
PM
^
Ryan Teksa
 Posted: Nov 6 2016, 07:59 AM

played by Taurus
344 posts
21 years old
C-Rank Leader
Ryan Teksa

So Veryn and Mercy could both manipulate metal - that was going to make for quite the haul here. Ryan introduced himself to her as well as they set out, and found the trip to the mine quite relaxing.

Whether or not it would continue to be so inside was a mystery as yet unsolved. He was fine either way.

It was easier to use torches than flame to light the way, though he kept his flames ready all the same - outside of Providence one never knows what might choose to attack and when. Better safe than sorry.

"Doing okay, Jules?" Julius was armed with the weapons he'd acquired, but whether that stretched to mentally prepared was another thing entirely. He still seemed nervous. Ryan would make sure to keep an eye out for him while they were out and about.
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 7 2016, 01:11 PM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

Oh— there was another one? Well, having more people along was ideal... Julius quickly greeted Veryn as well before they all set off.

The hour-long journey into the mountains didn't do much to relieve his anxiety. The trip itself was relatively uneventful, but that just gave him more opportunity to worry about what was ahead of them. He still didn't feel ready but, well, there was no backing out now.

Even under torchlight, the abandoned mine was kind of spooky. Julius tried to take in as much of it as he could. Maybe if he familiarised himself well enough with his surroundings, the ominous silence that accompanied them wouldn't feel so ominous. The map, too, helped a little bit. Forty feet... that wasn't that far down, really. It was only like, eight Juliuses. Really not that bad.

As they all prepared to descend into the mine shaft Julius continued to stick close to Ryan, the most familiar of the faces in the group. He nodded frantically in response to Ryan's question, but even he could tell it wasn't very believable. "Do you— d'you think there's gonna be much down there? In terms of like... monsters, and such."
PM
^
Veryn Balsamine
 Posted: Nov 8 2016, 12:32 AM

played by lucien
160 posts
24 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Veryn Balsamine
Characters • Witzelsucht

While Matias introduced her to the group, she put a hand to her chest and have a small bow. On the trip up the mountain, Veryn had spent sometime walking along with the horses, wishing there was some way they could go faster without wearing them out. It wasn't too long of a trip in the end and the sight of the cave entrance was worth the wait.

Reluctantly, Veryn carried one of the torches through the adit. She preferred to not have things carried in her hands in case she needed to draw a weapon, but she was also blind in the dark and needed the light source as much as the others. Plus, if she wanted to go on ahead she would be able to take the torch with her...

She got onto the platform and nodded at Matias' check on who was ready, then finally took the map and looked it over. She had actually been in abandoned mines before, though never too deep. There wasn't anything she needed from the actual mine itself before.

Julius' mention of monsters caught her ear and she turned to look at him and Ryan, a quiet excitement in her expression as she waited to hear the answer. It was pretty clear that she wanted to hear the opposite of what Julius likely did.
PM
^
Matias Ferre
 Posted: Nov 9 2016, 05:47 PM

played by Amemarteau
251 posts
22 years old
C-Rank Leader
Matias Ferre
Characters • Blacksmith

Matias held onto the rope as Mercy untied it. Once she undid the knot, the elevator immediately started its descent. Thankfully, even with the weight of five people and their tools, along with the platform itself, the pulleys worked well enough that Matias could handle the descent with one hand. Some of that strength, no doubt, came from the gift of his ring. Ringbearers, he realized early enough, were stronger than what might have been normal in their past lives.

On their descent, Matias noticed the torch in Veryn’s hand. It reminded him of something. When she came to his smithy… “If you’d like, I can hold that for you once we stop,” he smiled handsomely at Veryn. “You use weapons in both hands, right?” Matias explained, though the thoughtfulness was just an excuse.

Forty feet down, the shaft opened up to another tunnel before them. Once they had re-tied the elevator to the level, Matias would step off after everyone else. If Veryn so chose, he would then take the torch from her.

“I haven’t been this far down, even. But from journals I gathered of the place back in Providence, the last people to come here…” were overwhelmed by hordes monsters, “encountered some creatures.”

They were not deep into the mine, but already they could find broken tools and small piles of less valuable ore sitting in wait to be carried off. Some of the spaces clearly had veins of iron and copper, enough that Matias and any other prospector could easily make a small profit from right there.

“It’s nice to see there’s still plenty in the mine… but I’m not here for iron. I’m looking for something much rarer.”

He wasn’t looking for nests of overgrown insects or burrows of giant badgers either, but sadly the group would also find evidence of those as well. Deep away from the shaft, as the air grew drier, Matias stepped in something sticky. White silk, running all along the ground in front of them down one of the paths of the mine.

“Uh…is this fresh?” Yes. It was.
PMEmail
^
Ryan Teksa
 Posted: Nov 9 2016, 09:52 PM

played by Taurus
344 posts
21 years old
C-Rank Leader
Ryan Teksa

"Who knows?" Julius's question of monsters Ryan was sure would rather be answered in the negative, but the honest truth was that it was a toss-up. Generally the world responds to your thoughts, and if you expect monsters, there's usually monsters. Ryan, to a problematic degree, always expected trouble. Thus trouble always followed him. He didn't really mind that though.

"It'll be fine if there are, with five of us here there's not a worry in the world. Don't sweat it."

At the bottom of the mineshaft, once the quintet had moved out to investigate, there was already much of interest. Ryan shifted some tools, checking for any not ruined, and evaluated the ore. Even by the entrance, a good hour's work could make a decent amount of gain. Not bad.

But Matias had something else in mind and led the group deeper. Deep enough for those telltale signs of trouble to appear. Holes into the ground large enough for something the size of a horse to emerge, wood piled up into little nests, there had been a lot of life here recently. Very recently.

"Ah." At the sight of the silk though, that was a reason to pause. Hoo boy, this wouldn't do good for anyone's nerves. Ryan got the feeling that, once upon a time, he'd been pretty concerned about spiders, but these days unless they were somehow fire resistant he still avoided worry. Unsheathing his sword and performing a quick two-slice, he detached a section of the sticky silk, reached down and lifted it up.

A spark ignited at the point he was pinching it and flame quickly and rapidly raced down the strand, reducing it to ash in an instant. Very flammable, at least. "What do you think?" He turned to Matias, "Want me to torch the entire thing?" Fire wouldn't really harm the ores they were coming for, right?
PM
^
Mercy
 Posted: Nov 10 2016, 01:16 AM

played by tim3hopp3r
146 posts
18 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Mercy
Characters • 2GOTH4U

So Mercy didn't know much but what she did know was that this place was perfect. It was dark and dank and cold and obviously just the kind of place she would love to hang out if she wasn't scared which she wasn't because she loved this. So much. Because it was dark and apparently there were giant spiders here if the silk all along the floor was any indication and Mercy was actually pretty excited about that because it was RAD AS SHIT. Also she liked spiders. They were pretty goth.

Mercy watched Ryan. He lit some of the spider silk on fire. And because Mercy liked spiders that meant she knew things about them so she knew this was weird. She raised an eyebrow because that's the normal way to question people right. "Um, spider silk doesn't burn," she pointed out. "Not like that, so, like, that isn't from a spider. Probably some kinda mutant or other mosnter or something." Which was also cool and not terrifying at all, nope, not in the least.
PM
^
Julius Patina
 Posted: Nov 10 2016, 01:15 PM

played by Doctor Tess
97 posts
18 years old
C-Rank Leader
Julius Patina

The way Matias paused before saying "encountered some creatures" didn't exactly fill Julius with confidence. Just how many creatures were we talking about here? Two? Two hundred? On second thoughts, he didn't want to know the answer just yet.

At the very least, they weren't in any immediate danger. The stuff that had been left lying around the mine was sort of fascinating, in a way. Julius examined some of the ore - the copper ore specifically, which bore a striking resemblance to his ring. It had the same colour, and the same sort of metallic lumpiness... he supposed they must have been the same material. It felt kinda nice just holding it in his hands.

Shit, the big trail of spider silk sure killed his buzz, though. Golly.

Spider? Well, he assumed spider, though Mercy was convinced otherwise. "W-well, they probably wouldn't be ordinary spiders," he muttered, as if there were any scenario in which that fact would make him feel better. Good lord, why was it always the creepy crawlies?

"Should we, uh... follow it?" he asked, though he kind of suspected that he knew the answer already, and he didn't like it.
PM
^
Veryn Balsamine
 Posted: Nov 11 2016, 03:41 AM

played by lucien
160 posts
24 years old
D-Rank Neophyte
Veryn Balsamine
Characters • Witzelsucht

Veryn had let her guard down yet again and turned to Matias when he offered to take the torch from her. There was nothing wrong with the question itself but his smile reminded her of his rather forward friendliness at his shop and she immediately looked away, her face flushing just a bit.

"Uhmm, y'yeah. Thanks." Her hands fidgeted with the torch for the rest of the way down, until she handed it off to him and then walked off the platform herself.

If this ore wasn't what they were looking for then it didn't interested Veryn. The long streams of silk did though, and she went to prod at some of it with her boot. She knew that spider webs didn't burn and worm silk wasn't particularly flammable either, but this stuff was something else. There was no telling exactly what created it then?

"If... if y'burn it all down, would'all'a th'air down here get used up too?"

She kept her gaze down into the darkened expanse of the shaft they were following. Whatever's down here can't be bigger than these tunnels at least...
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

AFFILIATES
skin by bonbon for providence only. Edits by Spook & Tamafry